Aligning your feet and ankles will help align your whole body. If you struggle with ankle pain, arch supports can help place your feet in the ideal position and eliminate pain. Commack podiatry at Foot and Ankle Surgeons of New York can help you find the right supports for your feet and ankles to restore proper alignment to your entire body. Continue reading to learn more!
What Is An Arch?
Every person has a unique foot arch, and the width, shape, and height of this arch varies from person to person. Your feet are flat when you are born, and the arch develops and changes throughout adolescence. A fully formed arch may be one of the following:
- Flat – People with flat feet have no arch. Flat feet can cause your feet to overpronate when you walk or run and cause pain and muscle stress that can affect your knees, hips, and ankles.
- Normal – Normal arches adequately support your weight and roll inward as you walk or run.
- High – High arches can also cause strain and muscle pain in your feet and other areas of your body. High arches can cause your feet not to absorb shock and tire easily as you walk or run.
Do Arch Supports Help Ankle Pain?
Your ankles depend on your feet to maintain a healthy range of motion and proper alignment. Foot pain and issues can lessen mobility and create pain in the surrounding structures as your gait changes to compensate for pain. Several ankle conditions can lead to pain, including instability, tendonitis, and ankle arthritis. One of the best ways to manage ankle pain conservatively is to use arch supports.
Custom arch support orthotics are available at our Commack podiatry office to help reduce ankle pain. These orthotics help return your feet to proper alignment and prevent ankle issues. Here are some of the ways that arch supports can help you:
- Redistribute Pressure.
- Provide Support.
- Prevent or Lessen Pain.
- Improved Shock Absorption.
- Improve Posture and Stability.
- Reduce Load on Achilles Tendon.
Foot and Ankle Surgeons of New York’s Commack podiatry office offers customized arch supports for our patients’ specific needs. Our fabrications are made to fit your feet and efficiently relieve pain and improve your overall function. Be sure to contact us to learn more about arch supports and request an appointment today!