If you are dealing with a painful foot deformity, injury, or disease, you may consider surgery to relieve your pain and get back to a normal and healthy lifestyle. However, you may not be sure that foot surgery is necessary. Our foot surgeon in Commack, NY at Foot and Ankle Surgeons of New York can diagnose your condition and determine the best course of action. Continue reading to discover more about why you might need foot surgery.
Why Do I Need Foot Surgery?
Foot surgery may be the right choice for various conditions or situations. Some of the most common cases where foot surgery is necessary include:
- Conservative methods have failed – Regardless of the foot deformity, disease, or injury you’re dealing with, if you have not found significant pain relief, our foot surgeon in Commack, NY may recommend surgery. Your injury may be too severe to manage with non-surgical treatments or worsen if not appropriately treated with surgery.
- Foot deformity – When you’re dealing with a foot deformity, such as a bunion, it can leave you in constant pain. Many patients try cushioning their feet to reduce their pain, but if this is not effective, having your bunion surgically removed may be the right choice for you.
- Torn tendons – If the tendons in the ankle become ruptured or torn, they no longer connect your muscles to bone. While slight tears and sprains can heal with rest, a major rupture or tear should be operated on.
- Fracture – Some fractures can be treated with immobilization and rest, but more severe foot fractures may require surgery to restore proper function. Surgery is crucial to realign the bones, stabilize the fracture, and reduce future problems in the case of a displaced fracture.
- Arthritis – Arthritis is a painful and lifelong condition, which, unfortunately, means there is not much you can do to treat it. If you are dealing with severe arthritis in the feet, surgery can help decrease your symptoms and associated pain.
If conservative podiatric treatments have failed to relieve you of your foot pain, Foot and Ankle Surgeons of New York are here to help! Our foot surgeon in Commack, NY will closely evaluate your condition and determine if surgery is right for you. Contact our office today to learn more and request an appointment!