Have you experienced pain in your heel that shoots up your calf muscle? Does this occur when you’re extending your ankle forward or standing on your toes? This could be a warning sign that you may have developed an Achilles Tendon Disorder. These complications typically are prone to developing easily identifiable symptoms. If you feel as though you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, you should contact your Podiatrist in NYC over at Foot and Ankle Surgeons of New York.
Warning Signs and Symptoms of Achilles Tendon Disorders
Your Achilles tendon is the largest tendon in the human body, running straight from your calf muscle down to your heel. The strength of the muscle is considered to be greater than all the other leg muscles combined. Therefore, an injury in the Achilles Tendon can create a substantial amount of pain. You may initially experience mild pain in this area when performing activities. More severe symptoms may include some of the following:
- Tenderness or stiffness within the tendon.
- Bruising or swelling if the tendon tears or pops.
- Difficulty pointing your toes.
- Unable to push your toes off the ground when walking.
Identifying these symptoms can be done at your own leisure, but a proper diagnosis of your history and current condition is needed to truly understand what these symptoms may entail.
How A Podiatrist in NYC Can Help
- They can identify the conditions that come with an Achilles tendon disorder and help you put together a personalized treatment plan.
- Incorporate the use of devices (i.e. crutches) that will be able to relieve pressure on the tendon.
- Recommend stretching exercises for the calf muscle, helping to take stress off of the Achilles tendon. This will help alleviate a significant amount of pain you are experiencing from walking.
- Stimulation or high-intensity shock waves could be provided to the Achilles tendon; this treatment has proven to reduce swelling and loosen the tightened muscles.
Finding yourself in pain and in need of fast treatment from a podiatrist in NYC? Visit our about us page to learn more about our practice and the wide variety of treatments we offer here at FAASNY! Contact our offices and get yourself an appointment today!