Elective foot surgeries are defined as operations that are scheduled and performed in advance because they are not for a medical emergency. Most surgeries are elective to best suit the patient, doctor, and hospital. They may be done for cosmetic reasons or for medical reasons to relieve pain and discomfort. Elective foot surgeries may include bunion removal, hammertoes, arthritis of the foot and ankle, and a plethora of others. Most people are hesitant to sign-up for surgery, even if it is mild. So when is the best time to schedule an elective foot surgery? How do you know it is the best option? Luckily, there is a podiatrist in NYC, Foot and Ankle Surgeons of New York, that can answer all of your questions and ease your concerns regarding elective foot surgeries.
Examples of Elective Foot Surgeries:
There are multiple types of elective surgeries, especially for the feet. Some of which are:
- Bunion removal: Bunions find refuge on the forefoot, taking form as a prominent, unsightly bump. Bunions lead to discomfort and possible insecurity – many that suffer undergo a removal process. Surgery entails the removal of the growth.
- Hammertoes: Hammertoe is the deformity of toes that bend upwards resembling a hammer. This condition is extremely painful and can usually only be corrected with surgery. Surgery may include tendon transfer and joint resection to properly straighten the toes.
- Arthritis of the foot/ankle: When your joints experience inflammation buildup, this is known as arthritis. Depending on your case, the extent of surgery can vary in order to repair the damaged areas. Examples of surgical procedures for arthritis can include arthrodesis and arthroscopic debridement.
When Should I See a Specialist for Surgery? – Podiatrist in NYC
When should you seek professional attention for surgery? If you find your conditions are worsening and home-remedies are non-responsive, we recommend you contact a podiatrist. Foot and Ankle Surgeons of New York wants to get you back on your feet as soon as possible and offer an array of services to treat lower extremities. Seek attention to:
- Bunion removal: If you are experiencing persistent pain that does not improve with non-operative treatments. You should especially consider seeking professional help if your bunion begins affecting other toes by altering their alignment and causing more pain.
- Hammertoes: If you notice deformity and experience discomfort and perhaps immobility in your toes, seeking professional attention is imperative.
- Arthritis of the foot/ankle: In the case of extreme discomfort, your podiatrist may recommend surgery if nonsurgical treatment has been ineffective. Pain that causes disability is also an indication that surgery is necessary. Location and impact of the disease on your joints will determine what surgery will be executed.
How Can FAASNY Help?
If you have been experiencing discomfort in your feet, consider contacting a professional. A podiatrist in NYC, Foot and Ankle Surgeons of New York, offer evaluations, treatments, and surgeries for a variety of podiatric lower extremities. Our team understands that each injury is unique and requires the individualized attention of a competent specialist – that’s why we are here to help! Visit our website to learn more about our surgical procedures and schedule an appointment today.