As lacrosse players gear up for the upcoming season, it’s essential to ensure that they stay injury-free this spring. One of the best ways to accomplish this is by understanding how to prevent injuries before they occur. Foot and Ankle Surgeons of New York would like to provide tips and advice from our podiatrist on Long Island to help lacrosse players stay injury-free during the season. Continue reading to learn more!
Staying Injury Free This Lacrosse Season
Lacrosse is a thrilling and face-paced sport to play. While the rules of the game can differ between men and women, all athletes are prone to injuries on the field. Here are some helpful tips from our podiatrist on Long Island to stay injury-free this lacrosse season:
- Wear Proper Footwear – Proper footwear is essential during lacrosse games. Players should always wear shoes specifically designed for lacrosse, with good ankle support, cushioning, and traction. Ensure that the shoes fit well, with enough room in the toe box and no slippage at the heel.
- Stretching and Warm-up – Players should start with a few minutes of cardio to get the blood flowing, followed by stretching the muscles in their legs, ankles, and feet. Dynamic stretching is the best way to prepare for a lacrosse game or practice, as it involves moving and stretching simultaneously. Players should also stretch after the game or practice to prevent muscle soreness.
- Proper Foot Care – Proper foot care is essential to avoid foot injuries. Players should regularly trim their toenails to prevent ingrown toenails and bacterial infections. They should also keep their feet clean and dry, especially after games or practices, to prevent fungal infections such as athlete’s foot. If a player notices any signs of foot pain, they should see a podiatrist immediately to prevent the injury from worsening.
- Cross-Training and Conditioning – Players should incorporate cross-training and conditioning into their routines to prevent injuries. Cross-training involves working on different muscle groups and using different exercises to avoid overuse injuries. Conditioning exercises such as squats, lunges, and calf raises can also help strengthen the muscles in the feet and ankles, preventing injuries during the season.
- Avoid Overuse Injuries – Overuse injuries are among the most common injuries in lacrosse players. These injuries occur when players train or play too often, leading to muscle fatigue and strain. To prevent overuse injuries, players should take time off between games and practices to allow their bodies to recover. They should also listen to their bodies and rest when tired or sore.
- Incorporate Rest Days – Rest days are crucial for injury prevention. Lacrosse players should have at least one rest day per week to allow their bodies to recover fully. Rest days can help prevent overuse injuries, reduce muscle soreness, and improve performance.
As lacrosse players prepare for the upcoming season, it’s essential to take steps to prevent injuries. Our podiatrist on Long Island at Foot and Ankle Surgeons of New York is here to help you prevent injuries and stay healthy throughout the season. Contact us today to learn more and request an appointment!