Our foot and ankle surgeons and podiatrists in NYC and Long Island are dedicated to providing the best in surgical and non-surgical treatments for orthopedic conditions affecting the foot and ankle. All our doctors are extensively trained in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases and conditions of the lower leg, ankle and foot. Contact us today for a qualified and trusted Podiatrist in Nassau County, NY.
We treat conditions including heel pain and plantar fasciitis, arch pain, bunions, hammertoes, arthritis, tendinitis, fractures and sprains of the foot and ankle. We also specialize in surgical and non surgical treatment of diabetic problems affecting the foot including diabetic ulcers and Charcot foot. We provide custom orthotics and shoes.
We offer conservative and surgical treatments for all conditions affecting the ankle and foot.
Our practice was established in the New York area by Dr. Fred DeLucia and Dr. Joseph Alencherry to provide the best in surgical and non-surgical treatments for the foot and ankle. All our podiatrists and foot and ankle surgeons are extensively trained in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases and conditions of the lower leg, ankle, and foot. They are trained in advanced reconstructive foot and ankle surgery having completed rigorous residency and fellowship training at top hospitals.
Our Nassau County, NY Locations
Our practice philosophy is to examine patients on the whole rather than just the foot and ankle. A specialist must always be able to think like a generalist while still being a specialist.
We are a group of professional, empathic and interested practitioners who specialize in all conditions of the lower extremity within an inviting and modern office setting. Our office staff is cheerful, up to date and eager to assist you in all of your needs both in and out of the exam room.
We treat common conditions such as heel and arch pain, plantar fasciitis, bunions and hammertoes. We also treat ankle and foot fractures and sprains. We specialize in Sports Injuries, tendinitis, and overuse syndromes. Treatment for adult and pediatric flat foot, cavus foot and congenital deformities such as brachymetatarsia are available. We provide custom orthotics and shoes. We also specialize in surgical and non-surgical treatment of arthritis, deformities and diabetic Charcot ankle and foot.
Our five office locations are conveniently located for public transportation. The offices in New York City are only a few steps from the West 4th subway station in West Village or the Columbus Circle subway station. Rego Park, Queens location can be reached via bus and subway. Lake Success and Plainview offices are less than 5 minutes away from major highways.
Foot Care While at Work
Your feet are what carry you, so it’s important to keep them happy and healthy! If work requires you to be on your feet all day, it is especially important to take the time to take care of them. Your feet not only take thousands of steps a day, but they also support your entire body weight. Our Podiatrist in Nassau County, NY is very familiar with everyday foot care and we want to share some helpful tips with you.
It is likely that you are stuffing your feet into all different types of shoes that may not be the best for you. Let alone the fact that you are standing on them for long periods at a time. At the end of the day, your feet go through a lot and taking care of them is not only incredibly important, but you’ll be much happier than you did; and your feet will thank you as well!
What you can do:
Your feet probably could use some more attention than you are probably giving to them, especially while at work. Luckily, there are various things you can do while on the job to take good care of your feet and make them more comfortable:
- Stretching – Stretching out your whole body can help your feet feel better and release any tension or stress throughout the body.
- Wear compression socks – Wearing these can prevent any swelling caused by blood pooling in the legs and feet.
- Get a new pair of shoes – Invest in your feet and buy a new pair of shoes about every six months. The sole of your shoes become worn down quickly and the support your shoes provide then quickly diminishes.
Here also some things you can do at home to make your feet more comfortable at work:
- Keep your toenails cut neatly – Prevent ingrown nails or infection by keeping your toenails cut. It can also be very uncomfortable to feel your nails digging into your toes or shoes.
- Moisturize – Use a moisturizer on your feet to prevent your skin from cracking.
- Soak your feet in Epsom salt – Resting your feet in a large bowl of warm water with Epsom salt helps aid circulation and prevent swelling. Soaking your feet back and forth in hot or cold water also helps with circulation and swelling.
How can Foot and Ankle Surgeons of New York help?
Unfortunately, sometimes the at-home treatments do not always relieve all of your foot pain. Therefore, you will need to consider professional help. By reaching out to a podiatrist they can help take some of that stress off your feet. If your main concern is being more comfortable while at work or on the go, a podiatrist may suggest Orthotics. Rather than going out an trying to find the perfect shoe, you can purchase orthotics that will wear inside your shoes. These can help solve some of the issues you may be having with your feet. Including trouble walking around or even relieving some of that pain, you have been experiencing!
Contact Our Podiatrist in Nassau County NY
At the Foot and Ankle Surgeons of New York, we understand how important your feet are. We want you to take care of your feet the best that you can and help you do just that! Our expert doctors and surgeons can help you diagnose and treat any foot problems you may have and make sure that they are properly taken care of. Visit our website for more information on how we can help you today
Athletic Footwear Guidelines
If you are an athlete or enjoy being regularly active, you should understand how important it is to have the right pair of footwear on. There can be various risks that come with improper footwear and plenty of positives if you do choose to wear proper footwear. Having a good looking pair of shoes is always nice, but looks should especially come second when looking for proper footwear as an athlete.
Understanding Athletic Footwear:
A big part of wearing proper footwear is understanding which sneaker or shoe will work best under the demands of your sport. While certain shoes may feel comfortable at first, that does not mean it is right for you. Depending on how you will use your shoes will decipher whether or not they are a good fit or not. Below are a few common choices when it comes to athletic footwear:
- Running Shoes – While extremely similar to walking shoes, it is important that we recognize that traditional running shoes will always provide cushioning, flexibility at the ball of your foot, as well as stability. They should also provide you with durable outsoles in order to take on the traction of grass, dirt, or pavement.
- Walking Shoes – These can be used for those who choose to walk for fitness purposes or to just get around throughout the day. Typically will include comfortable cushioning and flexible soles.
- Cross-Trainers – These are all-purpose shoes, meaning they bridge similarly to walking shoes as well as sports-specific shoes. They are a great option for people who want to use their shoes for a variety of activities. Keep in mind though that they will not provide the same support for running or high-impact activities like another shoe would.
- Sports-Specific Shoes – While the shoes we mentioned above work great for the day-to-day or exercising, choosing shoes specifically for a sport can help you enormously. For example, basketball shoes will come in the form of high tops which are used to help support your ankles from the impact of jumping, abruptly stopping, etc..
Why Proper Footwear Should Be a Priority:
Here are some reasons why wearing proper footwear as an athlete is so important and the impact it can have on your body if you aren’t:
- Prevent injury – Proper fitting footwear can help avoid serious injuries such as an ankle sprain or shin splints.
- Lessen the impact on your joints – Every step you take puts pressure on your joints and proper shoes can help to lessen the impact.
- Everyone has different shaped feet – Whether you have wider feet or a higher arch, it’s important to wear footwear that matches the shape of your feet so you can be comfortable and prevent injury.
- Footwear is sport-specific – Wearing footwear specially designed for your sport can help improve your performance and keep your feet protected.
- Lessen discomfort – Proper footwear that is comfortable for you can help your performance and endurance.
How can Custom Orthotics help?
Aside from picking out the proper footwear for your sport, you may also be able to benefit from the use of custom orthotics. This can be especially helpful if you have been suffering from any foot or ankle related issues. Your podiatrist may suggest the use of custom orthotics for the following reasons:
- Reducing pain in your foot, ankle, leg or even lower back
- Helping to maintain the correct alignment of your foot
- Improving your balance
- Supporting your arch and heel
- Absorbing any shock and helping to distribute pressure along the bottom of your foot
Podiatrist in Nassau County, NY
A podiatrist can help you determine what footwear can provide you with the best protection if you are ever uncertain. They can help recommend what shoes will fit best, provide the most comfort and stability, and keep you going strong while being active and possibly some custom orthotics to provide even more protection. At Foot and Ankle Surgeons of New York, our experienced podiatrists are eager to help ensure that you are taking the best care of your feet as an athlete and help you to make the best decisions when shoe shopping. Contact us for more information on how we can help you.